Add crystal clear audio to microcontroller-based applications with TI's new Audio Capacitive Touch BoosterPack for ultra-low-power MSP430(tm) microcontrollers
Harness real-time signal processing performance using new easy to use, plug-in board for the MSP430 LaunchPad development kit
SILICON VALLEY, Calif., March 27, 2012 – Enabling new functionalities in microcontroller applications, including crystal clear audio with playback and recording capabilities, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced the C5000™ ultra-low-power digital signal processor (DSP)-based Audio Capacitive Touch BoosterPack. This new Audio Capacitive Touch BoosterPack (430Boost-C55audio1) is a plug-in board for the $4.30 MSP430™ LaunchPad development kit, and it is the first solution from TI where a DSP is solely controlled by a microcontroller which allows designers to add audio and other real-time features to their system without DSP programming experience. The BoosterPack is ideal for low-power applications that use record and playback audio functions such as MP3 players, home automation and industrial applications.
“TI is making it possible to achieve rock-bottom power consumption for audio applications by combining the industry’s lowest active power DSPs and ultra-low-power microcontrollers,” said Jon Beall, marketing director, single-core processors, TI. “In addition to the low power advantage, the real-time DSP performance added to the already-popular Capacitive Touch BoosterPack means the possibilities are endless for microcontroller developers wanting to take full advantage of sophisticated DSP technology without programming on the DSP.”
Featuring a C553x ultra-low-power DSP and an MSP430 Value Line device, the Audio Capacitive Touch BoosterPack combines the industry’s leading ultra-low-power microcontroller and DSP platforms. This allows developers to add DSP functionality to their microcontroller applications while ensuring the low power consumption. Developers can easily control the DSP through simple commands using the UART by leveraging the pre-programmed DSP functions.
Key features and benefits of Audio Capacitive Touch BoosterPack
• C553x ultra-low-power DSP, the industry’s lowest total power DSPs with total active core power < 0.15 mW/MHz at 1.05V, enables crystal clear audio/voice MP3 encode and decode.
• MSP430G2452 microcontroller offers standby power of 0.5uA and <1μs wake-up time for a wide range of low-power applications.
• MSP430 microcontroller capacitive touch interface allows users to control volume, select song titles and record and playback audio files.
• Integrated LED display, high-speed USB 2.0 and SD/MMC interfaces offer an enhanced user experience.
• Free capacitive touch library enables capacitive touch buttons, sliders, wheels and proximity sensors on all MSP430 microcontrollers, eliminating the need for developers to create complex touch-sensing algorithms.
• Supported by a complete OLED user interface and MP3 record/playback software library, easing development.
Pricing and availability
The new C5000™ ultra-low-power DSP-based Audio Capacitive Touch BoosterPack (430Boost-C55audio1) is available today for a one-time promotional price of $30 USD for the next 30 days (normally priced at $34.99) in honor of TI’s 30th anniversary of digital signal processing innovation. Customers can immediately place orders at www.ti.com/C55audio1estore. Developers can also take full advantage of the C553x ultra-low-power DSPs, starting at $1.95 in quantities of 1,000 units, and the C5535 eZdsp™ development kit for $99.
TI’s Audio Capacitive Touch BoosterPack live at DESIGN West 2012
Visit TI in booth 1320 at DESIGN West 2012 in San Jose, Calif. on March 26-29 to see a demonstration of the Audio Capacitive Touch BoosterPack.
For more information
• Go to www.ti.com/c55xboosterpacks or ti.com/launchpad
• Check out TI’s Power Solutions for C5000 DSPs
• Join TI’s community on E2E
• Follow TI on Twitter
• Like TI on Facebook
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.