Intersil Delivers First Encapsulated 80A Digital Power Module
ISL8273M provides highest power density POL solution for advanced FPGAs, processors and memory
Intersil Corporation (NASDAQ: ISIL) announced the industry’s first 80A fully encapsulated digital DC/DC PMBus power module that provides point-of-load (POL) conversions for advanced FPGAs, DSPs, ASICs, processors and memory. The ISL8273M is a complete step-down regulated power supply that delivers up to 80A output current and operates from industry standard 5V or 12V input power rails. Multi-phase current sharing of up to four ISL8273M power modules enables power supply designers to create a 320A solution with output voltages as low as 0.6V. Housed in a compact 18mm x 23mm module, the ISL8273M delivers the industry’s highest power density and performance for increasingly space-constrained data center equipment and wireless communications infrastructure systems.
The ISL8273M digital power module leverages a patented ChargeMode™ control architecture that delivers best-in-class efficiencies, with up to 94% peak efficiency and better than 90% efficiency on most conversions.
The 80A ISL8273M further distances itself from competitive digital power modules by delivering 2x higher output current. Its proprietary High Density Array (HDA) package offers unmatched electrical and thermal performance through a single-layer conductive package substrate that reduces lead inductance and dissipates heat primarily through the system board.
“With advanced FPGAs and processors occupying more of the PCB real estate and requiring higher input current levels at lower input voltages, the demands on POL power converters are being pushed to the limit,” said Mark Downing, senior vice president of Infrastructure and Industrial Power Products at Intersil. “The 80A ISL8273M gives our customers the power density they need, along with excellent thermal and electrical performance, on-the-fly power supply optimization, and real-time system monitoring and control.”
Key Features and Specifications
• 80A digital switch mode power supply with current sharing, multi-phase and multi-modules support for up to 320A power rails
• Wide input voltage range from 4.5V to 14V and programmable Vout from 0.6V to 2.5V
• PMBus-enabled solution for full system configuration, telemetry and monitoring of all conversions and operating parameters
• Up to 94% peak conversion efficiency with 1% output voltage accuracy
• Single clock cycle transient response
• Programmable Vout, soft-start, soft-stop, sequencing, margining and under-voltage, over-voltage, under-current, over-current, under temperature and over-temperature
• Monitors Vin, Vout, Iout, temperature, duty cycle, switching frequency, power good and faults
• Internal nonvolatile memory saves module configuration parameters and fault logging
• Compact, thermally-enhanced high density array (HDA) package simplifies thermal management, solution positioning and PCB routing
PowerNavigator GUI Simplifies Digital Power Designs
Intersil's PowerNavigator GUI software simplifies the ISL8273M’s configuration, validation and monitoring of all device parameters and telemetry. The tool makes it easy to change features and functions of a digital power supply design without writing a single line of code. To download the PowerNavigator GUI and watch a tutorial video, please visit: www.intersil.com/powernavigator.
Pricing and Availability
The ISL8273M is available now in a thermally enhanced 18mm x 23mm x 7.5mm HDA package, and priced at $69 USD in 1k quantities. The ISL8273MEVAL1Z 80A digital module evaluation board is available to speed time-to-market and priced at $89 USD.
For more information on the ISL8273M DC/DC digital PMBus power module and evaluation board, please visit: www.intersil.com/products/isl8273m.